Re: "Y'All Bought Too Much Oracle": a review

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:26:42 -0300

Em Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:06:06 -0800, HungryLion escreveu:

> Why don't they plug the Dataphor 'product' if its supposed to
> be a faithful implementation of their 'third manifesto'?

        Several reasons:

  1. DBDebunk is mainly Pascal stuff, and he's not really interested in products. He feels the TransRelational (ReqTech) stuff is fundamentally different because it should solve some fundamental implementation performance issues that could eventually make RDBMSs, even such as Dataphor, much faster than anything else.
  2. They do plug it, but small scale. Date and Darwen even form, I think together with some other few, an informal conceptual advisory board for Alphora.
  3. Alphora Dataphor is still not finished. It can be used in modest production loads, your data is safe. But it won't quite scale up because it gets its reliability from the underlying SQL DBMSs, it ain't still a full DBMS. This will probably take years to fix, and the TransRelational guys ain't helping by being too secretive.

        If you go over http://www.thethirdmanifesto.com/ you will see they also plug some free software relational libraries. Also not yet full DBMSs, but taking the other end of the problem as compared to Alphora Dataphor.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607