Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:02:15 -0800

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote in message <news:3z32c.18$zW4.150_at_news.oracle.com>...

> Imagine RemoteSystemA owner provided you with EDI, XML or others ShmackML
> instead of remote database connection. Suppose all you need to know is how
> many purchase orders did the system processed last month. Does it mean you
> have to import *all* the orders to your system first?

Of course not. The remote system is most likely Object-Oriented, so you merely navigate, a/k/a chase pointers, to the orders collections, iterate through each and every order, and maintain a counter. That's N+K network round trips for N orders, where K is finite but unbounded.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to