Re: Date, the relational model and the application (software layer)

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 18 Mar 2004 14:36:21 GMT

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:37:36 +0000, mountain man wrote:
>> What competitive other theories of data modelling exist aside from
>> the relational model. ?
>
> None.
>
> So-called hierarchical and network models aren't theories, but
> rationalisations of old practics.
>
> Similarly, MV and OO are more techniques. They aren't really
> theories, at least not sane ones.
>
> Perhaps one could define a graph model, to generalise these
> above, but I guess that people who know enough to do that are wise
> enough to not start trying, because it would most certainly result
> in more complication and less power than the RM.

A good way to put it is that they do not represent systematic or comprehensive theories.

They may provide "techniques" for solving problems, but are not, in and of themselves, comprehensive ways of characterizing data.

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "_at_" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/