Re: Idea for concurrent transactions

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:03:45 -0500

Paul wrote:

> mspight_at_dnai.com says...
>

>>>That sounds like it's much the same as MVCC, with the possible caveat
>>>of adding vulnerability to "dirty reads."

>>Anyone have any references to papers that describe MVCC? I've
>>never been able to dig up something that describes the approach
>>in enough detail that I could implement it. (I've read plenty of
>>gloss-over-the-details descriptions.)

> Two database systems that I know a bit about use MVCC (also called
> record shadowing or record versioning - I like the shadowing term
> myself).
>
> The two systems are Interbase/Firebird and PostgreSQL - if you look on
> www.ibphoenix.com at the docs section, you should be able to find stuff
> that is a bit more than "gloss-over-the-details". Also, on the
> PostgreSQL site, the docs there might be of help.
>
> I believe that Informix uses it, and also Oracle some of the time.
>

> Paul...
>

>>Marshall

Just an FYI, ORACLE has used Multiversioning for a LONG time. I believe they were the first to do it. At the time I first studied this, interbase was the only other DBMS to also used MV.

MV is why ORACLE is much better with large transaction volumes and many simultaneous sessions/connections than most other products. Locking is just a painful way of controlling access.

ed

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/