Re: Date, the relational model and the application (software layer)

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:37:36 GMT

Thanks for the response.

"Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra" <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:pan.2004.03.17.14.30.43.568198_at_dutra.fastmail.fm...
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:49:42 +0000, mountain man wrote:
>
> > My reading of Date's work in regard to his reference to the application
> > software layer is that is is located external to the (R)DBMS as seems
> > indicated by a number of diagrams in the introductory chapters.
>
> I suspect this is one of the instances where Date doesn't say
> much because it would take much more time and result in an
> encyclopædia,

It's a real pity, as the RM of the data must be universally instantiated onsite and evolves symbiotically with whatever application is to serve it (or vice verse, depending upon your perspective) down through the halls of change management.

> and would be too much to try to sell -- the RM by itself
> is already a hard enough sale.

What competitive other theories of data modelling exist aside from the relational model. ?

 (You'll have to forgive the ignorance here, as my experience - in retrospect - is in following the principles outlined in the RM as far as is pragmatic to do so, as they are quite sound)

--
Pete Brown
Winluck P/L

> Now I do know that Alphora Dataphor, the virtual RDBMS that
> AFAIK is the only current full-featured RM implementation -- although
> there are two free software libraries --, does stores all the
> application in a RDB, and does push things like data entry consistency
> to the front-end transparently.
Thanks. I'll have another look at this. My first (brief) impression some time back was that it was middleware, but I will check again. Best wishes, -- Pete Brown Winluck P/L IT Managers & Engineers Falls Creek Australia www.mountainman.com.au/software