Re: Idea for concurrent transactions

From: Paul <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:44:17 -0000

> > That sounds like it's much the same as MVCC, with the possible caveat
> > of adding vulnerability to "dirty reads."

> Anyone have any references to papers that describe MVCC? I've
> never been able to dig up something that describes the approach
> in enough detail that I could implement it. (I've read plenty of
> gloss-over-the-details descriptions.)

Two database systems that I know a bit about use MVCC (also called record shadowing or record versioning - I like the shadowing term myself).

The two systems are Interbase/Firebird and PostgreSQL - if you look on at the docs section, you should be able to find stuff that is a bit more than "gloss-over-the-details". Also, on the PostgreSQL site, the docs there might be of help.

I believe that Informix uses it, and also Oracle some of the time.

> Marshall

plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase IBX 5.04 W2K Pro
Please do not top-post.

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from