Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Hiran Chaudhuri <hiran.chaudhuri_at_lrz.fh-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:49:56 +0100

"mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ebr5c.104974$Wa.53857_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Hiran Chaudhuri" <hiran.chaudhuri_at_lrz.fh-muenchen.de> wrote:
> I have called it RDBMS portal software as its whole function is simply
> to send RPC calls to the RDBMS and to (generically) handle the output
> data sets returned from the RDBMS executing such calls.

This is an excellent idea. And I have seen middleware that uses 'persistent message queues' that exactly store the messsages in a database.

But back to the thread: I belive XML does not just present new solutions to old ideas. It solves some problems, which we would have to deal with otherwise. I do not claim that they are not solveable - if they were, XML also could not do the trick. But as it does, we can focus our thoughts to higher levels of abstraction, and wide-spread interoperability comes into reach.

It's a bit like the first graphical user interfaces. In the beginning noone really needed them, today there are user interfaces noone would ever dream of using on a TTY....

Hiran Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 13:49:56 CST