Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Hiran Chaudhuri <hiran.chaudhuri_at_lrz.fh-muenchen.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:49:17 +0100

> > I'd still like to hear a good definition for "services design pattern".
I'm
> > not being facetious... I'd just like to be clear on what differentiates
> > services from other forms of remote call we've had in the past.
>
> I don't see any reason to think it's anything other than client-server
> computing under a new name. You get RPC but with XML as
> the transport.
>
> That's one beef I have with XML and its ilk; they like to come up
> with new names for old things and act as if they've invented something
> miraculous.

It's not that bad. Of course you are right. A webservice is just RPC with underlying XML communication. But then this allows breaking platform barriers. Or how do you implement RPC between a Java program and Cobol on mainframes on the other side? Either you use a middleware product, or you use XML. And guess what: Today middleware also supports XML communication.

Hiran Received on Mon Mar 15 2004 - 22:49:17 CET

Original text of this message