Re: Date, the relational model and the application (software layer)

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:10:45 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I wish Date would put out a cheaper version, maybe a condensed
>> one - the first 6-7 chapters stand alone fairly well. $95 is a
>> lot (I got mine as a Christmas gift, geek that I am). You'll find
>> much interesting discussion of database management, security,
>> replication, transactions, etc. Still not the front-end that
>> you're seeking, but in my opinion a strong discussion of why
>> relations should be carried into the front-end, rather than less
>> well-founded concepts from the front-end leaking into the data.
>
> When did libraries stop lending books for free?

In the parts of the world I come from, when did libraries start lending current editions of technical books for long enough at a time to be able to read them - especially large tomes such as Date 8th Edn?

All the libraries I've had access to during my professional career have been too cash-strapped to carry all the technical books I need.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com