Re: Is this bad design ?

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:06:42 GMT

Marshall Spight wrote:

> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote:

>> I can buy into the theme of Total depravity (T in TULIP of the
>> Canons of Dordt).

> I think this requires some background I don't have.

Google provides some help - "Canons of Dordt" as a search term (with quotes) yields http://www.reformed.org/documents/canons_of_dordt.html where the 'Canons of Dortdt' are formally titled 'The Decision of the Synod of Dordt on the Five Main Points of Doctrine in Dispute in the Netherlands', originally written in Latin in 1618. There are 5 main points in dispute - presumably sometimes memorized by the acronym TULIP. It appears to be of current liturgical significance having been reaffirmed in 1986.

This doesn't indicate how the TULIP acronym comes into being ... but Google is your friend - add 'tulip' as an unquoted term and you find http://www.oldpaths.com/Archive/Feenstra/C/A/1931/ch02.html

"The chief doctrines that are the most closely associated with Calvinism are the famous five points. These may easily be remembered by the memory-crutch "tulip". For, each letter of the word "tulip" is the first letter of one of the five points. Thus the "t" of tulip stands for "total depravity"; the "u" of tulip stands for "unconditional election"; the "l" represents "limited atonement"; "i" equals "irresistible grace"; and the "p" indicates the "perseverance of the saints".

The page from which that quote comes also references the 1618 Synod of Dordt.

Now - dare we say it - let the religious debates over the relative merits of different database systems continue?

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com