Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:54:32 GMT

"Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message news:V5m2c.66912$Tn.41083_at_bignews5.bellsouth.net...

> Allowing clients to directly query the server via SQL makes your design
> too fragile for real world application. Server side schema or application
> changes will immediately break every client in your system. Your solution
> requires that clients have intimate knowledge of the servers table structures
> in order to properly formulate a "query" that would allow the client to pull

> the information that they're interested in.
I don't buy it. Your communication protocol has a schema, too. Unless client and server agree on a common schema, nothing works. No matter what the architecture, unilateral schema changes break everything. This is not something specific to RDBMSs; it's fundamental to the nature
of distributed computing.

Marshall Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 17:54:32 CET

Original text of this message