Re: Multiple specification of constraints

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:15:30 GMT

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Exn1c.20851$mK4.3170_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...

> Agreed. And if we had languages that supported relations for all processing,
> we wouldn't be in the O-O mess we're in now. It would be just amazingly
> useful to be able to perform relational operations on data in memory... and
> then, at the end when satisfied, persist it.

Okay, that sounds great and all, but how's it going to work? For one thing, the operations shouldn't be limited to what's in memory any more than the DBMS has that restriction. And what about things like keys? Let's say we want to migrate some hierarchically-stored data into our RDBMS, how do we make that work? We need to have the foreign keys, which means we need to allocate keys for every tuple. How do we manage the key space in a client-server world? Do the keys in the data have to be unique before they're insterted? How do we enforce that in a distributed environment?

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 19:15:30 CET

Original text of this message