Re: Multiple specification of constraints

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:19:24 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c2jdhr$vir$1_at_news.netins.net...

> Yes, one thing IT management does is resolve issues when two or more people
> on a project team are not in agreement. That's how I know that DBAs and
> programmers often have very different goals. I'd prefer that everyone
> building my house have the same goal in actually building a quality house
> into which I can move.

This viewpoint doesn't scale. It requires every engineer working on a given system understand all the development and operating requirements of every part of the system. That only works if the system is small enough so that the engineers can invest the time needed to do that, and also do their job.

If they don't have enough time to do that, then they will have localized responsibilities and localized concerns that will sometimes conflict with those of other engineers working on the system, even if everyone agrees that the overall goal is to maximize the value of the company.

Marshall Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:19:24 CET

Original text of this message