Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Archibald Tuttle <tuttle_at_brazil.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:30:21 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote:
>"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter Koch Larsen" <pklspam_at_mailme.dk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> skrev i en meddelelse
><snip>
>> > All in all, quite an empty post for so much text.
>>
>> It goes with the brain that created it.
>
>Is that really necessary, Bob? I have no problem with you disagreeing with
>statements I make, even indicating if you think they are illogical or empty,
>but the personal attack when you do not even know me is really offensive.
>I'm sure you intend for me to take offense, but I really don't enjoy the
>discourse under such conditions. I figure you must have some significant
>issues and I'm sorry if you have a need to take out whatever on whomever,
>but lay off buddy, OK? --dawn

Although it's true that Bob becomes harsh and nervous very quickly, it's also true that
is always very succint and precise instead of making tons of posts full of re-hashed
arguments and retorics.

I appreciate very much his attitude to always make critics and questioning everything,
a simple question helps people on reasoning more on the subject, and in the long run
it helps either developing ideas, or throwing them away. Unless, of course, you have
just and ego and you come over just to make claims without being prepared to be challenged on them (and, maybe, without even basic knowledge on the subject).

It's very nice to discuss and explore things without every time questioning every basic
concept, much of them are already taken for granted.

This NG is about database theory, not about eveyone's personal view of the world,
coming here trying to say that a well-estabilished, sound and proven theory is out
of date, inefficient or too much costly for general implementations, requires you to
have much more than a vision to both impress the audience and gain some respectability.

In other words: he gained my respect; you still have to.

Mr. Tuttle Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 12:30:21 CET

Original text of this message