Re: Testing Various Data Models?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:20:52 -0600

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:c2m4f3$1uue06$1_at_ID-125932.news.uni-berlin.de...
> After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, "Dawn M. Wolthuis"
<dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> belched out:
> > "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message
> >> Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when "Dawn M. Wolthuis"
> > <snip>
> >> _You're_ the one who was proposing the grand announcement.
> >>
> >> Responsibility for having a strategy to evaluate the merits of
> >> alternatives therefore rests on you, not on anyone else.
> >
> > Could you point me to the emperical data that proves that the
> > relational model is better for someone using it than any other? I
> > am unaware of any previous tests, but would be happy to find out
> > that there is such evidence.

> No, that's your responsibility.
>

> > Also, I'm quite certain that I am not the only one reading this news
> > group that believes there are other non-relational models that hold
> > significant advantages to companies employing them. So, no matter
> > what model you think might be a good one, whether relational or not,
> > how would you go about proving it to those who might wish to employ
> > it? This isn't my issue -- it is an industry issue.
>

> You keep on claiming such a belief; if it be true, then you should
> surely be able to locate quantifiable reports to prove your belief.
>

> It's YOUR claim; proof is YOUR responsibility. Establishing metrics
> to support your claims is YOUR responsibility.

You mean just like the relational theorists have proven that the implementations of the model provide a better bang for the buck for those who employ them than any other models? I have never seen any such facts, have you? --dawn Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 05:20:52 CET

Original text of this message