Re: object algebra

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2004 10:39:12 -0800

> > I am under the impression that you are assuming one already knows
> > which tables exist and which table to search for john and zip code.
>
> But there's always a schema, and you always have to know it.
> The format of the schema might change, but there is always a schema.

We agree that there is always a schema and ultimately the system, not necessarily the user, needs to know it at run-time. With typical RDM implementations, this is more difficult to accomplish in some situations because in order to access data within a table, one generally has to know the name of the table ahead of time. With TDM/XDb1, while data is also classified/typed, an alternate method of accessing the data is simply via the symbols that compose the data. Once the data is accessed, TDM/XDb1 allows the related class(es)/type(es), attributes, etc to be determined. Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 19:39:12 CET

Original text of this message