Re: object algebra

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:57:15 GMT

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b45d3ad.0403081039.7f1113a3_at_posting.google.com...
> > > I am under the impression that you are assuming one already knows
> > > which tables exist and which table to search for john and zip code.
> >
> > But there's always a schema, and you always have to know it.
> > The format of the schema might change, but there is always a schema.
>
> We agree that there is always a schema and ultimately the system, not
> necessarily the user, needs to know it at run-time.

The user has to know the schema, too. The schema is what the data *means.* If the user doesn't know what the data means, the user can't use the system.

The system also has to know the schema in order to enforce integrity.

Marshall Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 21:57:15 CET

Original text of this message