Re: Tree (forest) design

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2004 12:10:03 -0800

neo55592_at_hotmail.com (Neo) wrote in message news:<4b45d3ad.0403052235.21b55ba1_at_posting.google.com>...
> Third, the attribute name must be moved out of T_Heirarchy and into
> the appropriate table to normalize name. Since a thing can have
> multiple parents, name can appear in multiple tuples in your schema
> (<id, type, name>). Thus a user changing John's name in one row, would
> corrupt the data.

Nope. <id, type, name> is a Node. It doesn't contain any reference to parents and children. You keep all the links in a separate table Edges <head_id, tail_id>.

I think it's better to follow Bob's advice and give up this discussion, sorry. Received on Sat Mar 06 2004 - 21:10:03 CET

Original text of this message