Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:45:38 -0800

"Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message news:e242c.47448$0l1.6619_at_bignews3.bellsouth.net... >
> Yes, of course, but what does that have to do with using XML as a
message
> protocol for publish and subscribe systems?

I don't see any XML relevance in the context of publish and subscribe systems.

A client registers its interest in a certain event that may happen on a server. That is formally a rule: if a certain predicate becomes valid, then sever have to do some action (e.g. notify a client). That is the area of active database systems. Note that client notification is one of the possible actions (e.g. I want to sell the stock right away, I don't want to be merely notified that the stock price became attractive). There are multiple ways to implement notification too, for example, client can register remote callback, etc. Anyay, no matter what notification implementation is, the content of the message is too small to warrant making it XML. Once again, if the client needs more info, it can always query the server and this is far superior to any other alternative you may suggest. Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:45:38 CET

Original text of this message