Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:47:14 -0600

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bi22c.55867$%b5.36952_at_newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > I'll agree that XML is a teeny-tiny step for data exchange purposes, but
> the
> > services design pattern that just might emerge as a standard along with
> XML
> > documents does hold some promise, I think. Cheers! --dawn
>
> I'd still like to hear a good definition for "services design pattern".
I'm
> not being facetious... I'd just like to be clear on what differentiates
> services from other forms of remote call we've had in the past.

Yes, yes -- I put one in another thread -- I couldn't put my finger on where that question was.

Here are definitions that R. Dale Asberry sent from the jini-users list.

"A service is a function that is well-defined, self-contained, and does not depend on the context or state of other services." and according to the W3C:

"a service is a software agent that performs some well-defined operation (i.e., "provides a service") and can be invoked outside of the context of a larger application."

 I have a few I penned as well, but I especially liked being clear that (from a mathematical perspective) it is a function. --dawn Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 18:47:14 CET

Original text of this message