Re: Any new thoughts on OTLT (One True Lookup Table)

From: Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:50:02 GMT

Hi Jingle,
You wrote:

> I found a discussion in the archives that was a couple of years old.
> I'm one man development team working on a small website. I'm designing
> a database that will have scores of lookup tables and I'm thinking it
> will be much quicker for me to have one "generic" one than 40
> individual ones that are almost completely identical except for the
> content.
>
> Since I'm using postgres I've also thought about using inheritance but
> that ties me to postgres.
>
> Any thoughts?

Contrary to the other reactions I regard your approach entirely feasible. Have been working with it since ages. There 's one thing you can do to make life easier if you go that road: make sure every single code has a unique (pseudo)key. Though there are people in this group who will try and flame me down for this suggestion, that does take care of the referential constraints issue, doesn't it?

Ruud.

PS. As I got no experience with PostGress, no reaction to the second part of the post.

Ruud de Koter                    HP OpenView Software Business Unit
Senior Software Engineer         IT Service Management Operation
Telephone: +31 (20) 514 15 89    Van Diemenstraat 200
Telefax  : +31 (20) 514 15 90    PO Box 831
Telnet   : 547 - 1589            1000 AV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Email    : ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com

internet: http://www.openview.hp.com/products/servicedesk
intranet: http://ovweb.bbn.hp.com/itservicemanager