Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:49:01 GMT

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:c23lje$1o07nm$1_at_ID-125932.news.uni-berlin.de...
> - If Microsoft is promoting it that can't conceivably be a good thing.

Except to MS stockholders.

> That's actually a really useful property; "Microsoft Inside" is a
> terrific warning label.

Heh.

> - It uses XML, the only thing that could have been worse than SGML,
> which was a text parsing system designed by people that didn't want
> to understand the theory of language parsers.

Hey, don't blame them - information technology professionals have self-lobotomized en masse and followed the "text markup professionals" right to the gates of hell...

> - It depends on "success" in the shifting sands that are the
> foundation for XML "standards." Just look at the set of "standards"
> being published under the auspices of the W3C.

Well, we'll be able to cope with ever-changing "standards" once the "semantic web" is fully in place, y'know. :-)

> Looks like a futile boondoggle to me...

To paraphrase Fabian Pascal: this is one of those cases where one does not know whether to laugh or to cry.

  • erk