Re: Can these constraint be implemented in an RDBMS ?

From: ben brugman <ben_at_niethier.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:05:01 +0100

> Contraints are able to be written in the native RDBMS language
> (eg: TSQL for SQL Server) and bound to the database tables.
> All data entry routines are able to be written as stored procedures,
> as are all report writing requirements.

Implementing everything to be accessed as stored procedures is totaly unrealistic. For example a lot of development kits are not geared to using stored procedures but a geared to accessing tables or views.

> At some stage you need to deal with someone skilled as a DBA
> or in coding TSQL (for example.
>
> Access control is handled by the user security system that is part
> of all RDBMS software products. Integration of that security
> system to your organisation is simply a mapping of people to
> organisational work-groups, and the mapping of those work-
> groups to the applications available to the work-group.

Content based security is not part of RDBMS (the once I know) products.

> The classic example of the above is a Menu system that
> is organisational sensitive.
Menu systems are not part of RDBMSsen.

> Good luck with it!

Thanks.