Re: Where can i find the original database rules from Codd?

From: Matthias Klaey <mpky_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:15:24 +0100

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:29:45 +0100, "Tobias Faust" <tobias.faust_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>> http://www.acm.org/
>> and follow these links:
>> > Digital Library > Magazines > Communications of the ACM > Archive ...
>> here you find the complete archive of the magazine.
>
>Thank you. That´s the right link :)
>
>greetings
>tobias

This is the 1981 Turing Award and does not contain any "rules", numbered or not.

According to his lecture, the "original definition of the relational model" appeared in

E.F. Codd, A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared data Banks, Communications of the ACM 13, 6 (June 1970), 377-387

and "an improved version" in

E.F. Codd, Extending the Database Relational Model to Capture More Meaning, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 4, 4 (December 1979), 397-434.

(Both papers are in the ACM digital library).

You can find "Rules 1 - 7" in the second of these papers, however, these are not "Codds Rules" as understood today and cited above by CELKO. So I think your question is still open. I'm interested in an answer, too!

Greetings
Matthias Kläy

--
www.kcc.ch