Re: Where can i find the original database rules from Codd?

From: Nigel Pendse <nigelp.nospam_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:04:50 -0000

"Tobias Faust" <tobias.faust_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:c21esv$1bl11_at_doiweb4.b2x.vwg
> hi
>
>> Codd also specified nine Structural features, three Integrity
>> features and eighteen Manipulative features all of which are
>> required as well. I'd repeat them here but this note is already too
>> long.
>
> you donīt understand me. ;) I know this 12 rules and i know the 9
> rules from codd also. But now i search the original white paper,
> written by codd, with his 9 rules. And i think he had not only wrote
> down his 9 rules, maybe he had additionaly wrote some elucidations
> and his thoughts.
> Iīd like to download his original paper , witten by him.

You may have a problem finding a Web version of Codd's original publication of his relational rules as it was done long before the Web came along and so was, presumably, never published on the Web. What you can find quite easily are more modern interpretations and explanations of what he wrote some 20 years ago. And according to these, his original publication was a Computerworld article, not a white paper.

His later OLAP rules were published as a white paper, commissioned by Arbor Software, and that is available on-line from Hyperion Solutions. Received on Tue Mar 02 2004 - 10:04:50 CET

Original text of this message