Re: Codd provided appropriate mathematics ... (was Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory"))

From: Tom Hester <$$tom_at_metadata.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:00:48 -0800

Sure there is. He did not call it 1NF then, only normal form saying: "
1.4. Normal Form
A relation whose domains are all simple can be represented in storage by a two-dimensional column-homogeneous array of the kind discussed above. Some more complicated data structure is necessary for a relation with one or more nonsimple domains. For this reason (and others to be cited below) the possibility of eliminating nonsimple domains appears worth investigating. [see note 4] There is, in fact, a very simple elimination procedure, which we shall call normalization.