Re: Domain

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:34:08 GMT

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:bst3a8$16mcb$1_at_ID-125932.news.uni-berlin.de...
> In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> transmitted:
> >
> > I take it from this question that you're thinking I'm thinking C++
> > and Java are state-of-the-art in programming languages. They aren't.
> > (They are state-of-the-art in being popular, though.) I'm more
> > interested in things like Haskell.
>
> Well, when those were the languages mentioned, and you made no mention
> of Haskell/ML/Cecil/Self (which _do_ involve some advances in type
> systems), it sure _seems_ reasonable to consider you probably meant
> C++ to be "an advance" in this regard.

I don't see it. I was talking about how a lot of activity in computer languages happened in universities and research labs before becoming commercialized, in contrast to what's happening with SQL, where the activity is all commercial in origin. I gave AT&T CFront -> Visual C++ as an example of a programming language that went from a research setting to a commercial setting. I would have mentioned commercial implementations of Haskell/ML/Cecil/Self, if any existed.

Java's type system may be lame, but SQL's type system is lamer.

Marshall Received on Wed Dec 31 2003 - 04:34:08 CET

Original text of this message