Re: Domain

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 30 Dec 2003 23:55:53 GMT

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> transmitted:
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:5didnbY3IvfBVWyiRVn-iQ_at_golden.net...
>> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > If you look at the field of programming languages, the last 30
>> > years has seen a lot of activity, a lot of new ideas, and a lot
>> > of advancements in type systems.
>>
>> Really? The only real advancement I have seen is in TTM.
>>
>> Specifically, how has it advanced?
>>
>> Do you honestly think C++ represents an advance in type systems?
>
> I take it from this question that you're thinking I'm thinking C++
> and Java are state-of-the-art in programming languages. They aren't.
> (They are state-of-the-art in being popular, though.) I'm more
> interested in things like Haskell.

Well, when those were the languages mentioned, and you made no mention of Haskell/ML/Cecil/Self (which _do_ involve some advances in type systems), it sure _seems_ reasonable to consider you probably meant C++ to be "an advance" in this regard.

I can't see but that Java and C++ are _less_ sophisticated than many of their predecessors, and certainly than other "type branches" such as Haskell, ML, CLOS, and even Smalltalk.

--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html