Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:12:22 -0600

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:1pydnZ_Ro6ck6m2iRVn-gQ_at_golden.net...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > > "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message

> > > You don't see how logically distinguishing attributes by physical
> position
> > > violates physical independence and confuses logical and physical
> issues?!?
> >
> > Again, I don't see the physical level being discussed here.

> If implicit order is not physical, where does it come from?

<snip>

Just so it is clear, Bob, since you are filtering out my responses anyway, Marshall is correct and you are wrong on this one, darlin'

Ordering of values is logically a function (=operator=map=procedure=method) from (a subset of) the positive integers to a set of values (and likewise ordering of attributes is a function from the positive integers to a set of attributes). One can talk about ordering logically if one can talk about numbers logically (and most of us can!).

--dawn Received on Tue Dec 30 2003 - 05:12:22 CET

Original text of this message