Re: Domain

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:44:38 -0600

"Joe "Nuke Me Xemu" Foster" <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP> wrote in message news:1072722607.119541_at_news-1.nethere.net...
> "portroe" <bob_at_sleigh.com> wrote in message
>
> > can anybody give me a definition of domain as applied to DB theory,
>
> If a DBMS had proper support for defining types, domains would be types.
> Just as most modern programming languages support the creation of new
> types, RDBMS' should support the creation and use of new domains.

I agree except that I would state it more like "DBMS's should use modern programming languages where classes define types aka domains"

To answer the original question, without looking up anyone else's definition, I'd say that a domain is a named set of possible attribute values for a specified attribute.

--dawn

<http://www.xenu.net/>