Two-valued logic

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:32:40 -0600

I work with a model that uses a two-valued logic. A NULL value under this scenario can be handled logically as a null set value. With this model, a NULL then = a NULL because a null set equals a null set..

My impression from reading Date and others is that the three-valued logic of SQL that is proliferated in RDBMS's does not have a lot of fans. However, I don't know if that is really the case or if I just happen to be reading the pro-two-valued logic folks.

Who is out there that will still defend three-valued logic within databases and suggest that it is a better strategy than using a two-valued approach? Would it be accurate to state that most database theorists agree that a two-valued logic provides significant benefits?

And, again, thanks in advance for your help. --dawn Received on Sun Dec 28 2003 - 17:32:40 CST