Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:04:56 -0500

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:e9d83568.0312272356.6b916a15_at_posting.google.com... > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:<bsl23t$5ih$1_at_news.netins.net>...
> > Do you agree, Bob, that relational database theory seems to require
> > constructs that are NOT mathematical relations (because they have no
logical
> > ordering among attributes)?
> >
> > Do you also agree that some of the data models that are not considered
by
> > relational theorists to be relational are, in this way, actually MORE
> > relational in that they do require logical constructs (ordered tuples)
that
> > correspond to mathematical relations?
> >
> > This is one of several issues I'm trying to square away or at least get
> > vocabulary that is not so contradictory. Thanks --dawn

Apparently, Dawn does not realise she has been in my twit-filter for months now.

For anyone who doesn't know, ignore Dawn--she's an idiot. Mathematical relations do not have any particular attribute order. The physical representation of mathematical relations using written symbols on planar surfaces relies on physical order for succinctness. Received on Sun Dec 28 2003 - 10:04:56 CET

Original text of this message