Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:58:09 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message <news:v6mdnQYXkoaxl3OiRVn-uw_at_golden.net>...

> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message

> > It doesn't affect the semantics of relations or relational operators;
> > it just affects how attributes are identified.
>
> Huh? Of course it affects the semantics if positional ordering has meaning!

SELECT * really ought to rearrange the attributes each time it's used! >=) However, alignment can still matter in modern system architectures. Intel CPUs might still be happiest when floating point values are 8-byte-aligned, but this is an implementation, not a logical, detail.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  DC8s in Spaace: <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to