Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:58:09 -0800

"Bob Badour" <> wrote in message <>...

> "Marshall Spight" <> wrote in message

> > It doesn't affect the semantics of relations or relational operators;
> > it just affects how attributes are identified.
> Huh? Of course it affects the semantics if positional ordering has meaning!

SELECT * really ought to rearrange the attributes each time it's used! >=) However, alignment can still matter in modern system architectures. Intel CPUs might still be happiest when floating point values are 8-byte-aligned, but this is an implementation, not a logical, detail.

Joe Foster <>  DC8s in Spaace: <>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!