Re: Microsoft and the two great blunders

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:36:50 -0800

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<brvejf$82o75$1@ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>

>>Alfredo Novoa wrote:
>>
>>>www.gotdotnet.com/team/PDC/4121/DAT340.ppt
>>>
>>>We are going from bad to worse.
>>>

>>>Regards
>>>  Alfredo
>>
>>What's the big deal, about it ?

> Microsoft has pontificated that types = relation variables.
>
> It will be a new problem, at least in many (spaniard) companies I know.
>

> Regards
> Alfredo

It has been greatly exagerated, but it is no problem. The theory that it is a problem has no relation whatsoever with practice. The same theory may have much more serious practical consequences.

By the way, the way it is presented in that powerpoint, at best you can conclude that entity types as in E/R modeling will be equated with relation types in relational databases. It is not like Microsoft advocaters a table for arbitrary types, like for example the STRINGS table.

And this approach is, in the general case, the best way to arrange it, no doubt about that.

If you have something substantive to say about it, please say it, otherwise handwaving based on The Third Manifesto is a serious detriment to the quality of this newsgroup.

Costin Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 23:36:50 CET

Original text of this message