Re: Is there something called text/csv database?

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:42:15 -0800

"Public Interest" <test_at_test.com> wrote in message <news:x0FEb.491801$0v4.21553255_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> As I open "driver" for ODBC, there is something called "Microsoft Text
> Driver (*.txt; *.csv)"
>
> Ok, I understand that a .csv is, but I don't understand how ODBC will run
> SQL on a .csv.

Pretend those .CSVs are unindexed old-school .DBFs, but slower. Just about any operation besides SELECT and INSERT will require rewriting at least one entire .CSV file. The ODBC driver will have to contain an entire SQL engine, but sometimes that has to be done anyway when there's no easy mapping from ODBC 'SQL' to some DBMS' own proprietary 'SQL' mutant.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sacrament R2-45 <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to