Re: A Question on Integrety

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:29:29 -0800

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message <news:brsepd$hr3$1_at_news.netins.net>...

> Set theory and predicate logic are not the only mathematical models in town
> and not the ones that always make the most sense when it comes to data
> navigation. Navigating graphs (which is what older databases often did as
> hierarchical, network, or key-value structures) is intuitive and successful.

<sigh/> Why does every generation need to keep repeating the same mistakes? Relational theory arose out of the ashes of the failure of large database projects using the older techniques you mention. Of course, if you've gotten your 'information' from SQL vendors, no wonder you're confused. They have to pile broken 'feature' on broken 'undocumented feature' in order to build marketing hype.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>   L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to