Re: A Question on Integrety

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:31:37 -0500

> > This is a good example for use of a more agile approach to data
persistence

> What is it about the word "agile" that makes me want to reach for my gun?

Agile is right up there with paradigm. It's the latest catchword for pretentious morons to sprinkle over their horseshit to make it seem more palatable to the unwary.

> > such as using a non-RDBMS solution (even if the product calls itself an
> > RDBMS) where data is persisted as strings, without strong typing in the
> > database persistence layer. Data types in this environment refer to the
way
> > that the data is either shown (output) or gathered (input) but the
database
> > mangaement system does not do type checking, permitting the applications
> > apply necessary type constraints, while the database happily persists
any
> > strings it it given.
>
> That's not a database, it's a "file".

That's kind of like turning a Ferrari into a garden trailer. Do you agree?

> "Persist" as a transitive verb is another one...

At least, "persist" is a verb unlike "effort" for example. Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 16:31:37 CET

Original text of this message