Re: A Question on Integrety

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:19:56 -0500

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:brouhm$dt3$1_at_news.netins.net...
> This is a good example for use of a more agile approach to data
persistence
> such as using a non-RDBMS solution (even if the product calls itself an
> RDBMS) where data is persisted as strings, without strong typing in the
> database persistence layer.

You consider that agile??? Yikes!

> Data types in this environment refer to the way
> that the data is either shown (output) or gathered (input) but the
database
> mangaement system does not do type checking

In other words, the "dbms" simply stores the external physical representation without performing any management. This turns you database management system into a file. That's not agile--that's just plain stupid.

>, permitting the applications to

> apply necessary type constraints, while the database happily persists any
> strings it it given.

Having applications enforce integrity is what we had prior to 1970. It didn't work then. It doesn't work now. It will never work in the future.

> An example of such a database is IBM's U2 (Universe or UniData) databases
as
> well as jBASE, D3, and Revelation (all based on the old PICK model).

Oh, now I see--that's where your stupidity and ignorance come from: PICK.

toodles Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 09:19:56 CST