Re: Analyzing the relationships between database and application

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:24:07 -0500

"Ville Laitila" <vimalait_at_SPAMMI1.cc.jyu.fi> wrote in message news:bro2og$k4k$1_at_mordred.cc.jyu.fi...
> Has anyone seen a model that describes how database is used from an
> application?
>
> I mean that it would be very inspiring to combine application artifacts
> and database artifacts to same model.
>
> For example,
>
> class/module A (method/routine A1) --> reads table X (field X1)
> class/module B (method/routine B1) --> writes table X (all fields)
>
> There is a huge gap between UML diagrams and Entity Relationship
> diagrams. So if the model above would fill the gap? Or is there
> something like that already?

The vocabulary you use above seems to focus on the physical to the exclusion of the logical and the conceptual.

I agree it would be nice to have development tools where application production was more seamless; however, I suggest the best way to proceed is to raise the level of our programming languages to more closely match the relational model. Received on Tue Dec 16 2003 - 17:24:07 CST