Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic nodes

From: John Isaacks <jisaacks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 07:03:40 -0800

> > We did it with C++ and a memory mapped file for persistence.
> > We had to use a 64bit cpu and 12G of RAM.
>
> Wow! That's only 300 bytes of RAM for every 10 digit phone number!

We didn't use all of that, last time I checked it was using apx 4G of RAM, We had to plan for every possible USA phone number being ported. The overhead or memory requirements of indexing goes down as more numbers are placed in the system. Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 16:03:40 CET

Original text of this message