Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic nodes

From: Christian Fowler <google_at_NOSPAM.gravesweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:28:23 -0600

Here is another approach (only first half of the page applies here) I was emailed personally in response to my orginal post:

http://fungus.teststation.com/~jon/treehandling/TreeHandling.htm

Basically, the (too obivious for me to think of ;-) concept appears to be storing a mapping of the Node / Parent for every parent in the chain. Basically it splits up the materialized view concept into multiple rows, or one can think of it as the adjancency list with all parents stored. Perhaps call this the "Materialized List".

Personally, this is my likely favorite since I tend to "trust" the performance of giant tables that are nothing more than 2 columns of integers. Seems like this approach would handle most of the desired tree cases (select path & child count, insert, delete, move) very well.

Hopefully postgres can handle a very active, very narrow 50 million row table without breaking a sweat.

[ \ /
[ >X<   cfowler_at_steelsun.com   |   http://www.steelsun.com/
[ / \