Re: Final CFP: XML Database Symposium (XSym03) _at_ VLDB 2003

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:27:16 GMT

Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:05:43 +0100, akmal chaudhri wrote:
>

>>> What is that doing here?  Is someone trying to give XML a
>>> theoretical foundation, or is this just spam?
>>
>> What is your problem? The poster may be very relevant to people that read
>> this group.

> Yet off-topic, if there is not even an attempt at a theoretical
> foundation to XML data.

Would you mind pointing out where in the charter of this newsgroup it says that?

And while you are at it, could you also explain to me how it is that I've seen all these articles at ICDT, SIGMOD, SIGMOD/PODS, VLDB, XSym and DBPL where theoretical issues of the XML data model and query languages where studied? Surely that would be a bit difficult if there wasn't a theoretical foundation, now wouldn't it? See for example the paper by Millist Vincent et al. at XSym about a redundancy-free 4NF for XML. Some here may remember that I've mentioned him in relation to a faulty definition of the PJNF/5NF that is often used. (By Date, for example, even in the latest edition of his book.) Or what about the excellent paper on normal-forms for XML by Marcelo Arenas and Leonid Libkin that got the best paper award at SIGMOD/PODS? Now, Libkin surely is a genius, but I don't think he could have pulled this off if there wasn't a formal definition of the XML data model. But you seem to differ. Enlighten us if you will.

  • Jan Hidders