Re: mini database - educational project

From: Matias Woloski <woloski_at_sion.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:14:26 -0300

"Tony Douglas" <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net> escribió en el mensaje

> Do you have a free hand in what you can use to implement this ? Or
> does it have to be in C or C++ or some other given language ?

We must do it in c or c++.

> Are you only having to use basic domains for attributes
> (integers,strings,etc.) ?

Yes, we should to provide CHAR(XXX), INT, LONG, FLOAT, DOUBLE, TIME, DATE.

> My first instincts would be :
> - a functional programming language of your choice (mine would be
> Haskell)
> - Prolog
> - anything else a far distant third
> The reason being that it is very easy to define new structures and
> operations on them in these languages (for very different reasons).
>
> The stuff about disks, memory, etc. are as optimisations and/or side
> issues really - unless the task description says otherwise it sounds
> like the "interesting" bit of this is the representation of relations
> you choose and the definition of operators upon them. And that can be
> quite interesting :)

yes, that will be interesting...
I think I will go for the file based approach. Creating temporary files for each query. What file organization schema do you recommend? Direct or Indexed?

thanks,
Matias Received on Thu Aug 28 2003 - 20:14:26 CEST

Original text of this message