Re: mini database - educational project

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 28 Aug 2003 05:34:51 -0700

"Matias Woloski" <woloski_at_sion.com> wrote in message news:<bij50r$a5u8n$1_at_ID-148083.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi,
> I need to implement/develop a small database for unix which should support
> most of the relational algebra operators, such as Projection, Selection,
> Product, Union, etc.

Do you have a free hand in what you can use to implement this ? Or does it have to be in C or C++ or some other given language ? Are you only having to use basic domains for attributes (integers,strings,etc.) ?

My first instincts would be :
- a functional programming language of your choice (mine would be Haskell)
- Prolog
- anything else a far distant third
The reason being that it is very easy to define new structures and operations on them in these languages (for very different reasons).

The stuff about disks, memory, etc. are as optimisations and/or side issues really - unless the task description says otherwise it sounds like the "interesting" bit of this is the representation of relations you choose and the definition of operators upon them. And that can be quite interesting :)

  • Tony