Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Heikki Tuuri <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:08:38 GMT

Christopher,

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> kirjoitti viestissä news:bij2l3$9tgnj$3_at_ID-125932.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net>
would write:
> > Even still, I find it unforgivable for someone to implement a
> > self-proclaimed rdbms and not have any familiarity with this book. It is
> > unforgivable for someone to claim an opinion on what constitutes an
rdbms
> > and not even know what 4VL is.
>
> I haven't seen any opinion being expressed, on the "MySQL side," as to
> what they think constitutes an RDBMS.
>
> Certainly nothing resembling the "Peano Axioms" that the MySQL guy
> seems to think _everyone else_ should consider as the level of
> discourse.

I have said that the concept of an 'RDBMS' is vague. Lee Fesperman and Bob Badour say it is not vague. It is their job to provide the exact definition. In the threads with Mikito Harakiri and Jan Hidders you find some reasons why I am asking these questions.

> --
> "cbbrowne","_at_","ntlug.org"
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/
> "misfortune, n. The kind of fortune that never misses."
> -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for MySQL Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 23:08:38 CEST

Original text of this message