Re: View updates (was "is something a RDBMS")

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:51:22 +0200

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:55:02 -0700, Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> Let's clarify why I call those "ad-hock".

        Is the hifen and k in 'ad-hock' a pun I didn't got or just bad Latim?

> Given a view A transforming set of relational vars x into another set of
> relational vars y, we can write it like this:

        I assume you mean relation variables?

> while we have major difficulties manipulating relational expressions. For
> example,
>
> u union v = w
>
> and we don't seem be able to apply any tranformation to it which would move
> v to the other side of the equation.
>
> In short, given the context of the problem above it seems unlikely that
> solving equations in the relational algebra would be reduced to applying a
> set of simple rules soon.

        I see your point, and I don't see anything shameful in D&D's rules being ad hoc by your definition.

        But the point is that they are sane, or at least seem to be to me so far. If you have a specific proof of insanity, please publish it... you might send it also to editor_at_dbdebunk.com if you have thick skin.

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34