Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:25:08 -0400

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0201141922&

> >> The book is selling too well: "Not Currently Available.
> >
> > Give the guy a break; he is dead after all. Try the library or one of
the
> > used book dealers.
>
> Being dead is not an excuse... actually I have the book, and
> it is not so great.

I agree there are many things in RM V2 that I find very controversial. It is certainly not the work of outright, undeniable genius the 1970 paper was. But at only one work of outright, undeniable genius, Codd is way ahead of the vast bulk of humanity.

Even still, I find it unforgivable for someone to implement a self-proclaimed rdbms and not have any familiarity with this book. It is unforgivable for someone to claim an opinion on what constitutes an rdbms and not even know what 4VL is.

> If you look enough, perhaps in the Relation Database
> volumes, Date himself has a negative review of it.

I would also find it unforgivable for someone to implement a self-proclaimed rdbms without having read the replies to the book. But we all have to start somewhere, Heikki needs to read RM V2 before he will understand those replies.

> It was a trial at
> digesting the relational principles and corolaries, plus some assorted
> ideals about DBMSs, to PHBs in charge of DBMS systems development.
>
> _TTM_ IMNSHO is a better foundation for RDBMS guidelines.

I agree. However, it is not the only work one must know. For instance, I would find it equally unforgivable for someone to claim to have written an rdbms without any familiarity with Jim Gray's work either; even if one decides not to implement a transaction based system, one needs to know what a transaction based system provides before making the decision. Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 16:25:08 CEST

Original text of this message