Final CFP: XML Database Symposium (XSym03) _at_ VLDB 2003

From: akmal _at_ deja <_at_>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 02:10:37 -0700

Final Call for Participation:

Monday, 8 September 2003 (prior to VLDB 2003), Humboldt-University Berlin (main building).

Invited Talk will be given by Professor Michael Franklin, University of California at Berkeley:

"Query Processing and XML - A Foundation for Intelligent Networks"

Abstract:

Much has been said about the potential for XML to serve as the basis for solutions to problems ranging from data and application integration to the semantic web. As a survivor of the Object-Oriented Database wars, I was initially hesitant to jump on the XML research bandwagon. Over time, however, I came to the realization that XML could very well be the answer to a number of practical problems I had faced in developing systems for data dissemination, stream processing, and adaptive data management. In this talk, I will expand on this theme, describing how XML, combined with techniques developed for database query processing and data management can be used to provide networked applications with greatly enhanced support for interconnectivity, adaptivity, and perhaps, even improved efficiency.

Bio:

Michael Franklin is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley where his research focuses on the architecture and performance of distributed databases and information systems. He spent several years developing database systems at Wang Laboratories and MCC prior to receiving his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1993. He served as Program Chair for the 2002 ACM SIGMOD Conference and is a member of the editorial boards of the ACM Transactions on Database Systems and the VLDB Journal, the SIGMOD Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees of the VLDB Endowment. He is also currently an Executive-in-Residence at the Mayfield Fund, a venture capital firm in Menlo Park, CA.

The goal of the new XML database symposium is to provide a high-quality platform for presentation and discussion of new research results and system developments in the field.

In addition to the keynote by Mike Franklin, 18 contributions selected from 65 submissions will be presented within the following sessions:

  • XML-Relational DBMS
  • XML Query Processing
  • Systems and Tools
  • XML Access Structures
  • Stream Processing and Updates
  • Design Issues

The fee for the symposium is 150 Euros and includes the LNCS proceedings (LNCS no. 2824), attendance to all sessions, coffee breaks and the symposium dinner.

The symposium takes place at the VLDB 2003 venue, in the main building of Humboldt University, Central Berlin.

Further information on XSym03 can be found at: http://www.lirmm.fr/~bella/XSym/ Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 11:10:37 CEST

Original text of this message