Re: Is mysql a RDBMS ?

From: Heikki Tuuri <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:32:10 +0300

Bob,

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> kirjoitti viestissä news:24L2b.950$p72.85250086_at_mantis.golden.net...
> "Heikki Tuuri" <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > What's not real about it? The fact that it is a self-join? That
happens
> > all
> >
> > The fact that it is not from some real application.

> Self-join is not from some real application?!? Don't be stupid. I use
> self-joins all the time, and so does everybody else. Of course, no real
> application I write will allow duplicate rows, because I am neither stupid
> enough nor ignorant enough to allow duplicates in the first place. But you
> argue for duplicates, so you must accept them as real-world in your world.
>
> Since self-join comes from real applications and you argue for the value
of
> duplicates, I fail to see how the query is not a real-world query in your
> universe of useful queries.

of course self-joins occur in real-world applications. But we are still waiting for you to provide a real-world example where the join size is bloated with duplicate rows.

> > A weakness of 'mathematical-relationists'
> > is that they fail to provide hard evidence for the claim.

> A weakness of vendors is an absolute refusal to accept hard evidence when
> provided. Your denial doesn't change the fact that I have already provided
> hard evidence for my point. It only demonstrates your intellectual
> dishonesty.

This discussion has been constructive. We have studied the impact of mathematical relations on query optimization. In scientific work we first study, then claim things. Some mathematical-relationists work the opposite way.

Best regards,

Heikki
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign keys for MySQL InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for MySQL Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 17:32:10 CEST

Original text of this message