FAQ. (Was: Is mysql a RDBMS ?)

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:06:10 -0700

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:eez2b.696$CH.81818723_at_mantis.golden.net...
> How should we answer the following FAQ's?
> - What's the best database?
> - Which is the best dbms: Access, Foxpro or Filemaker?
> - I have the following 16 gigabytes of DDL and data. How do I do my job?
> - After I installed my database, I got error #314159 when I tried to
> connect. What did I do wrong?
> - I don't care about all that theory stuff. How do I do my job?
> - I have the following tables from problem #62 in Elmasri and Navathe. How
> do I turn them into third normal form?

I appreciate your humor, but your list isn't even close to reality. Here is my version:
1. How do I model hierarchy? Don't need FAQ entry unless Joe Celko gives up his proven copy-and-paste method.
2. Is Entity-Attribute-Value Model (when all the database is a single table) is a good idea? I'm not sure if there is a good article debunking that. 3. What is <insert your number here>-Normal Form? I suspect no FAQ entry would be better that just a couple of URL references.

Overall, we have so lame traffic that creating FAQ is not just worth the effort. Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 03:06:10 CEST

Original text of this message